Bleach World Wide Adventures

Welcome to the Bleach World Wide Adventures forums!

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

Welcome to the Bleach World Wide Adventures forums!

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

2 posters

Game Design Basics To Create A Game

Shy Hooker

Game Design Basics To Create A Game Empty Game Design Basics To Create A Game

Post  Shy Hooker Thu Jun 13, 2013 11:22 am

Hello everyone. I am gonna share some of my knownledge in the game development section, all I am gonna tell here was taught to me in college and some by self experience.
    Some of these are based on my own opinions, I don't care if you come here crying because you don't agree, everyone has their own opinions.
    I also recommend everyone interested to watch the "Indie Movie"

If maiority of people say your game is lackingsomething and you think it's perfect, chances are you're wrong. It's hard to take critical feedback, especially when it's right. Loosen up, stay humble, remember you're not as great as you think you are. If players agree that something's wrong, you should probably take a step back to reconsider what you're doing. But don't make the mistake of just doing what your audience expects. When responding to feedback, ask specific questions and try to find the root of the problem. Don't attempt a quick fix by just cutting out the problem. -> Not mine (Source)

You Don't Like Your Work

If you are not feeling excited about your work, then don't expect most of the other people to.
    Why it doesn't excite you ? Why are you doing it ? Just stop it. Go do something else and think to yourself what you are doing wrong, make your own rules and if it doesn't excite you, rethink.

Power vs Skill

(Source) Now in my opinion, we should focus only in one horde, we should focus in all groups (Hardcore, Casual and Newbie players). Don't focus only in skill, balance your mechanics to a point that even Newbie players can do, requiring less skill to execute and give a chance to kill the hardcore player. (Not suitable to all genres)

Starting The Game

How can we make people not quit in the first 5 minutes playing your game ? Most of games make the players stay with something misterious and decent compensation or a good introduction to the game. 

Tutorials

Start with a good presentation or even a tutorial that a player didn't even notice he's going through it. Show the mechanics by playing the game, make them level without starting the game grinding constantly. Make players feel strong by fighting a boss and at the same time experience the boss mechanics and what capable they are..

Mechanics Imbalance

Let's not make it a big ass imbalance that people can't even enjoying what they are doing and quit the game.
    Make the players of all levels constantly evolving and come up with strategies, and improving the way to counter any other players. Give the mechanics to players to come up with their own strategy to enjoy the game. I loved Path of Exile skilltree, when I started I didn't know what to do and by playing the game I started to come up with strategies and studying the skill tree to perfect my enganging with the game. (Path of Exile SkillTree)

Test Your Game

Give out your demo or if it's in Byond, let's host a test server to everyone. Don't hear out the feedback of your friends, the best that would say is "Yeah FUCKIN' AWESOME BRO", stop it.
    Let everyone play the test demo/server and be quiet, don't tell a thing or answer. Let them talk, not everything you think it should, specially parts when people feel more hard to come with a strategy or any difficult.
    BartPL

Game Design Basics To Create A Game Empty Re: Game Design Basics To Create A Game

Post  BartPL Thu Jun 13, 2013 1:16 pm

Nice, but i guess u are bored.
    Shy Hooker

Game Design Basics To Create A Game Empty Re: Game Design Basics To Create A Game

Post  Shy Hooker Thu Jun 13, 2013 2:28 pm

Otherwise I wouldn't have posted anything on forum. But yeah I wanted to share this because I know theres some programmers in this community and even tho I know people will not read.
    I know I had to study a book about game design not too long ago in college, it was a bit boring.

Sponsored content

Post  Sponsored content

Current date/time is Sun May 19, 2024 3:00 pm